Saturday, April 2, 2011

More Chainmail Resources

With thanks to Matthew of The Wheel Of Samsara... He points me to some interesting Chainmail resources.


Entitled 27th Edition Plate-mail, this ruleset uses Chainmail as the basis for a role-playing adventure game. You'll find the rulebook here, and the spell and magic items book here.


From my brief perusal, I found some of 27th Edition Plate-mail rather novel and interesting. Not sure I agree with a couple of things about these resources, though (the least of which is borrowing some classic art from other gamebooks).

3 comments:

Matthew Slepin said...

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to give a link. ;)

Since Plate-mail is a free fan thing, I don't have any problem with the art; it would be different if it were for sale.

Anyway, my reaction to the game is similar to yours, but I'm still digesting it. One thing that really grabbed me is the lack of attributes; I have often argued that attributes in older versions of the game either need to mean more or be removed. My game of choice, Spellcraft & Swordplay, makes them mean more, but I dig that Plate-mail excises them (mostly, since they pop back up as...not Feats, but whatever they are called)

I also like that magic weapons do a flat +1.

I like the idea of rolling for wounds, although the mechanic seems a little cumbersome to me.

Dr Rotwang said...

Wheeeeeeee! Thanks, fellers!

Havard: said...

Looks cool. Love the name!