Friday, October 2, 2009

Psionicist: Serenity



I missed both the Firefly TV show and the Serenity movie when they originally aired. At the time, I probably believed the critics that panned the show. I greatly regret that, as it was a wonderful fusion of the western and science fiction genres.

One of the characters is River Tam, who is gifted with telepathy, precognition, and several other abilities.

Those other abilities include some pretty spectacular combat abilities. I will have to go back to Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry, but I recall there being some physical abilities tied to psionics, in addition to the psychological ones.

4 comments:

Dennis Laffey said...

I got into Firefly/Serenity after the fact, too. In fact, I remember being home one summer and seeing some commercials for it on Sci Fi and thinking it didn't look so hot. But a friend really talking it up a few months later got me to give it a try.

I haven't looked through Eldritch Wizardry yet, but d20 Modern has some physical enhancement psionics in it that also might be worth a look (and if you don't have it, you can find the MSRD with the rules for free somewhere on the web...)

Aaron E. Steele said...

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Firefly was one of those shows that deserved a larger following. It almost had a "Traveller" feel to it, with the clash of high and low technologies. It's a shame it didn't last.

Obiri said...

Fox got scared after they ok'd the project and tried to kill the show. They played the episodes out of order and moved the show around the schedule on a weekly basis. No one watched it because they could never find it.

I started watching just after it got canceled (Space picked it up). It was a great show. Make sure you check out the DVD set if you haven't already, ironically one of the best episodes never aired.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Indeed, we purchased both the DVD set and the movie, we were oblivious to both when they originally ran.