Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Campaign - Red Box Calgary

P_Armstrong, of Ode to Black Dougal fame, has posted his intention to start a face-to-face Red Box campaign in Calgary, using the 1981 B/X Dungeons and Dragons and Labyrinth Lord retro-clone rulesets. You can find his post regarding the commencement of that Red Box campaign here, and the Red Box campaign wiki site here. He is proposing that the games be held on Sunday afternoons, at The Sentry Box, the largest FLGS in Calgary. Sunday gaming sessions have been proposed, as The Sentry Box has an available private gaming room that day.

I'm very enthusiastic about getting involved in the Red Box Calgary campaign. For one, Mr. A is suggesting a startup date of February 28, which gives me lots of lead time to make any adjustments to my family schedule.

I'm also happy to hear he will be using a combination of B/X and Labyrinth Lord rulesets. While I do have two copies of Labyrinth Lord, I also have the Basic D&D rulebook, and intend to go to eBay for the Expert rulebook, so i'm covered (or will be) as regards the old B/X rulesets. But including Labyrinth Lord makes me more comfortable about using The Sentry Box gaming space for the game sessions, as anyone without the B/X rules can purchase the LL rules from TSB, thus supporting that business. I like supporting the businesses that support gamers through the provision of free gaming space.


In addition, I'm happy with the inclusion of Labyrinth Lord as I am not above pimping the retro-clones, like Labyrinth Lord, for those people who want a "living" ruleset to work with. It's a good ruleset, and getting it into existing or new gamers' hands can only help to foster additional enthusiasm for old-school gaming.


The campaign is being structured in the sand-box style, with the players using the Red Box wiki site to collectively negotiate where they will go adventuring, and the DM then preparing for the game accordingly. I am looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Both Vancouver and New York have Red Box campaigns. I intend to check out their wiki pages, to see how that approach works for them.

If you have been wanting to get involved in (or try out) a face-to-face "old-school" campaign in Calgary, here is your opportunity! I've already signed up on the Red Box Calgary Wiki Site.

7 comments:

P_Armstrong said...

Thanks for the shout out for Red Box Calgary. I am really hoping this gets some momentum.

Rognar said...

Sounds interesting. I hope it works out for you.

JB said...

Wow, you know I haven't been paying enough attention to this whole "Red Box" thing (partly 'cause when I see "Red Box CALGARY" I'm like 'Oh! The other side of the continent!'

Maybe I need a little Red Box Seattle thing.

Pat's a pretty decent guy and knows his B/X-LL stuff. I had a lot of fun playing with him; you should, too!

JB said...

Hmmm...I realize Alberta's not "on the other side of the continent" from the West Coast...it just feels that way (it takes a long-ass time to drive from Seattle to Kalispell, let alone into the northlands!).
; )

Aaron E. Steele said...

@Rognar: yes, playing B/X/LL should be a blast. I'm really looking forward to kicking it old-school! You'll have to log onto the Red Box Calgary site so you can follow the ongong saga, and maybe drop by one of our game-days to say hi, put faces to names, and so on.

@JB: We are just over the mountains, you know! Yes, you should see if you can get a Red Box Seattle thing going.

Regamer said...

Wow this sounds interesting, I'm starting a small B/X game here in Sherbrooke Quebec..and thinking of starting with B2. I may...ahem..borrow an idea or two.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Best o' luck, will be interested to hear the outcome!