Thursday, April 24, 2014

Magic Realm: Hills


If ever evidence was required of my utter lack of artistic ability, these sketches will no doubt be suitable, final and absolute proof of same.

While I wait (impatiently) for Stronghold Games, Richard Hamblen, or whomever it is that intends to re-publish and expand Avalon Hill's Magic Realm, I'm having fun imagining what I might do if I put serious effort into an expanded game.

I've got four ideas for additional tiles:  Hills (above), Swamps, Forests and Ruins.  Hills and Swamps would be for travel and human and minor monster encounters.  Forests and Ruins would be for Monsters and Treasure sites.

The Hills tiles (Gorge, Ravine, Abyss, Defile and Crossroads) are similar to Valley tiles, but have some difficult terrain in the form of a Hill in one of the two travelling directions.  The Crossroads tile  serves as an alternative character starting point, if one does not want to start at the Inn, the normal starting location.

2 comments:

Brian Lujan said...

Your hexes could maybe use a little therapy, but the map portion itself isn't too bad. They convey the idea without any head scratching.

Aaron E. Steele said...

I did a little better with the Swamp tiles!

I'll have to go back to the drawing board on the Hill tiles and clean them up, now that I've got a better design system going.