Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Paladin in Citadel

By way of introduction, the name of this blog is inspired by an iconic illustration from the early days of Dungeons and Dragons. That illustration, found on page 23 of the original Advanced D&D Players Handbook, published in 1978, is entitled "A Paladin In Hell" and depicts a paladin battling various classic D&D devils. That illustration, along with several others from the early days of D&D, set the tone for the kinds of D&D games that were played "in the day."

I have titled my blog "A Paladin in Citadel" for several reasons. The first is as a homage to that early D&D illustration, considering the impact it had on early fantasy role-playing. The second is in reference to who I am and where I live, being a paladin in Citadel.

This blog has been created to allow me to comment on the rules-light fantasy role playing games which I love to play. In particular: OD&D and its immediate decendants (for example, B/X, BECMI, and retroclones); The Fantasy Trip and it's retroclone, Legends of the Ancient World; Avalon Hill's Magic Realm (perhaps the greatest, and worse role-playing game ever); Dragon Warriors RPG; and Dungeoneer.

No comments: