Monday, February 1, 2010

And Still More Harpies

I swear, i'm just trying to get Harpies out of my blood.

Here comes another Harpy, this time from the pages of the Dungeons & Dragons Monster & Treasure Assortment, Sets One-Three: Levels One-Nine, published in 1977.

Looking at the M&TA, I came across another Harpy illustration. Perhaps someone can tell me, who is the artist?

According to the tables in the M&TA, Harpies do not appear until Dungeon level 4. That gives players lots of time to find an antidote or protection from the charm ability of Harpies.

Edit: James Chevski and Spielmeister opine that this may be a David A. Trampier piece. I am inclined to agree, although the drooping fingers and the nail on the thumb of the free hand, the over-long arms, the elbows, the dagger hand with its awkward flexion, the wavy dagger ... they all contribute to an unsettling Erol Otus feel to the art.

8 comments:

James Maliszewski said...

I'm pretty sure that's a Trampier illustration.

spielmeister said...

Yes I agree, it does look like an illustration from Trampier.

Zzarchov said...

There is no potion to cure harpies, or ensure that other party members won't be endangered by the harpies. But there are treatments that can allow you to lead a normal life with harpies. Talk to your cleric today about living life with harpies.

christian said...

In my fatigued state, I read the post title as "Still More Herpes." Harpies would be different, but who knows what they carry.

Cool illustration.

Aaron E. Steele said...

@James, Spielmeister: The hands and dagger suggest Otus, but you're probably right about this being a DAT piece.

@Zzarchov, Christian: that was supposed to be my schtick!

JB said...

Harpies are cool, man. More harpies are definitely needed.

Rusty said...

@Paladin: I think we are beginning to see a pattern with the harpies. A result of the long, cold winters in Calgary?

Aaron E. Steele said...

:)

Something's definitely afflicting me!