Wednesday, July 28, 2010

More Scenic Views

Several weeks ago, I posted pictures of the cabins. Here's another picture --this picture is taken from the road that leads down to the lake. Following the road, the lake is to the left, while to the right, the road curves and goes up a hill, bringing us up, and to the far side of the cabin. Along the stairs you see, going up to the cabin, grow blackberry and thimbleberry bushes. Having eaten my fair share of thimbleberries in my youth, they now hold little attraction to me, but my children seem to enjoy them. The blackberry bushes are very thorny, but will yield some delicious fruit later in the summer, provided we get sufficient rain.

And here is a photo, taken from cabin. The dock, on the far right, is from where I snapped the earlier 'scenic views' photos. Sadly, the vacation ended too early, but don't they always?

9 comments:

Sean Robson said...

It sounds like you're having a nice, long holiday. I'm jealous. After six weeks of kitchen renovations I could sure use one.

P_Armstrong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P_Armstrong said...

Yes, they do end too soon. I am still not happy to be back from my beach-side cottege in PEI.

As a side note, it looks like we might have Red Box Calgary going again in a couple of weeks.

Sean - I have lived through a kitchen reno as well. Cooking strictly with a bbq and a toaster oven and electric wok out on my deck. It was hell.

Scallop Skulled Skald said...

Magnificent scenery!

I've been scarfing down the feral mulberries and raspberries throughout the summer. They're so delicious, so precious, so ephemeral- just like a summer day.

Aaron E. Steele said...

@Sean: The holiday was great. Read lots. Played several sessions of D&D and Settlers. Spent quality time with my kids. Sorry about the renos; they always take longer than you expect.

@Pat: PEI sounds great, did you drive or fly? Looking forward to the fall, still hunting for that elusive Expert ruleset.

@Skald: Agreed on the scenery. Whenever i'm in a black mood, I think about the gift that is the cabins and the amazing surroundings. Puts everything in perspective! I don't think i've ever eaten mulberries, now im curious to try them.

Jay said...

Wow, a real hideaway! Sounds like you had some real quality time with the fam.

spielmeister said...

Wonderful place. Just wondering, is this in Alberta? My brother-in-law just migrated to Alberta and I envy him. Great place to live in. :)

Aaron E. Steele said...

@Jay: our own little slice of heaven. Secluded, but close to two small towns. It's the first summer in 13 years that I have had more than one of vacation, plus, my wife worked while I was on vacation with the kids.

@spielmeister: the cabins are in British Columbia. It's a long 5 1/2 hour drive from Calgary, Alberta, so I definitely want to make the vacation longer than merely a weekend.

spielmeister said...

Most definitely. One weekend in such a great place is simply too short a time. Here's to more great escapades of this sort for everyone of us!