Monday, March 22, 2010

Faery's Tale RPG

Is there any genre DnD can't emulate? I enjoyed reading Dr. Rotwang's blog-post about his daughter's first game of DnD.

Seeing as how Dr. Rotwang was able to emulate a fairytale RPG story, using microlite20, I began wondering why I had just purchased Faery's Tale RPG. I was inspired to buy it after reading a post, I believe it was on Jeff's Gameblog, recounting a game using the Faery's Tale RPG rules.

After reading Jeff's account of a Faery's Tale game, I went looking for a copy of Faery's Tale at my FLGS, The Sentry Box, but was told the game was "out of print", even though I had visited the Green Ronin website and the game still looked to be in print to me. Happily, I must have asked about it enough times, because they finally had a $20 copy on the shelves when I visited the store last weekend.

I had wanted to buy the game earlier, as my eldest daughter's 9th birthday was fast-approaching, and I thought it would be fun to run a game for her birthday, complete with costumes for her and her friends, and pseudo-larping. As I was unable to buy Faery's Tale from The Sentry Box, we decided instead to do a stuffed animal party, with each child stuffing their own stuffed animal to take home with them.

I brought my newly purchased copy of Faery's Tale home, and I left it sitting on the dining-room table. My daughter and one of her friends came across it, and after I described what it was all about, both girls were eager to play. The original birthday party plans are still on, but I have committed to running a game for them at some future date. Rather than playing pixies, fairies or brownies, my daughter wants to be a mouse; her friend, a butterfly. Why not?

:D

4 comments:

Timeshadows said...

Very cool.
--Please do let us know how that goes, will you?

Rognar said...

Interesting. I've been looking for an rpg my daughters might like. They're still too young to read, but in a couple of years, the oldest should be ready for something like this.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Head over to The Sentry Box and ask for them to order you a copy. It should arrive by the time your girls are ready to play.

Okay, that was a little cheeky... the folks at TSB are a great group, and they do (ultimately) deliver the goods.

You're welcome to borrow my copy if you want to take a gander at it.

Rognar said...

Thanks for the offer and the info. Turns out, I was able to get it as a pdf at DriveThruRPG for $10. It looks excellent. Maybe I'll get a print copy later and give it to my oldest daughter when she's old enough to appreciate it.