Sunday, October 11, 2009

Resource Cards: Gems and Coins

Still working on my resource card project.

This particular sheet is comprised of coin cards, treasure chests and precious gems.

While I have placed values on the precious gems, the remaining cards are left blank, in order that the actual value of the coins can be written down as the cards are distributed to the players.

Staying with the traditional 1 gp = 1 xp model of OD&D, my thinking is that the players can either spend the coins on equipment and goods, or can turn the cards back in for the experience instead.

I should have my second equipment sheet done shortly, which will include several backpacks, 10' poles, torches, and other common adventuring gear.



4 comments:

Rusty said...

Hey, these are very useful, especially with players who are new to RPGs and/or are unfamiliar with fantasy literature (I have both in my gaming group).

Aaron E. Steele said...

Yes, part of my purpose in designing these cards is to provide some visual cues to the items that characters find or purchase.

For the longest time, I had no idea what a "mattock" was.

Similarly, I remember the gems tables in the AD&D DMG, but had no idea what the gems actually looked like.

Rusty said...

I used to work for a builder when I was in high school, back filling basements by hand. I know exactly what a mattock is. However, it took me a long time to figure out all those polearms. Lucerne hammer? It was the favorite of the clerics until we found out it wasn't a hammer.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Yes, in my early teens, all the clerics would take the lucerne hammer, as it dealt out more damage.

We had a local dairy company called Lucerne. We figured the lucerne hammer was ... used on a farm?

:shakes head: