Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Psionicist: Firestarter


Here's another film, Firestarter, from 1984, based on the Steven King novel of the same title, about a girl who develops Psionic powers. In this case, she has the ability to start fires. The approach I am thinking of using, for the development of a Psionicist, is to come up with 10-12 "wild talents", one of which a Psionicist will start with, at first level. Precognition, Firestarter, and Invisibility are three of the wild talents that I intend to allow for first-level Psionicists.

Others?

2 comments:

JB said...

In the AD&D campaign of my youth there were only a handful (actually a little less) of actual PHB psionic characters. As a DM, I did allow a player to have a pyrokinetic character as opposed to rolling standard psionics.

Hmmm...I wish I could remember the rules we came up with for that individual character. Generally, characters with "weird" abilities/powers (there were a couple in the group) would only be allowed certain powers at certain levels.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Yes, my experience with psionics, back in the day, is that it happened infrequently. I agree, tying the psionics to levels seems appropriate, from my persective, I would do this to enforce game balance between characters.